My experience in renewing my Malaysian Passport via walk in at Kelana Jaya Immigration Department

I have heard so many horror stories for those who wanted to renew their passport and I was reluctant to go and do it. Finally went and do it today. I was glad to learn that sekarang take payah buat appointment and can walk in. I did not want to take my chances by doing online although friends have expressed how easy it was to do it online and you will be given a slot to collect only.

There were numerous incidents where lepas apply online, the was error in the thumbprint/thumbprint missing from database and the most irritating issue was the photograph upload failed due to incorrect specifications, size....etc. The system simply rejects it. I have not tried my hand for online and decided to just storm to the Immigration Department and wake up early and get it done once and for all. I am happy to say that there is no need for walk in appointments and the passport can be done and collected on the same day.

There are 4 designated lanes at the Kelana Jaya branch.

Lane 1: Online Passport Collection

Lane 2: Online Applications but those with photograph or thumbprint issues

Lane 3: For walk-ins renewal (ages 14-59 years old)
Children aged 13 and below
First time applicants

Lane 4: Senior Citizens aged 60 and above
OKU (Orang Kurang Upaya)
Babies aged 2 years and below

So when you arrive, make sure you line up at the correct line.

As we arrived at 6.30 am the queue was already this long. 
They were about 30 ppl ahead of us.

The line at 7.40am was overwhelming. Hari-hari pun ramai orang yang buat passport.


You will then need to wait till 8am when the doors are open and the officers come out to hand you your numbers. There are only 500 numbers per day, an average of 150 pax per category.
As you line up for numbers, you will be given a simple form like this to fill up.
Hint: You can ask the officer a day in advance to get the form and have it filled up earlier before you go on the actual day. This form looks so much better than those A4 forms many years ago. Just bring your old passport and IC with you. Tak payah photostate copy.



I was surprised to learn that they are also open half a day on Saturdays and Sundays.


Overall, the experience was pretty smooth. All done and collected by 12.15pm on the same day. I was glad all could be done in a day and I do not have to return again another day.

Tips: Wear only dark coloured clothes as they need to contrast it with their white background.
I saw a few people got rejected as they wore bright colours like yellow and pinks. Try and not to wear too flowery clothes too. No earrings.


For my line, the number starts from 3001. I waited for almost 23 people but Senior Citizens also have their own numbering system. After 1.5 hours only I was called to sit at the processing counter where they will take our photos after we hand them our IC and old passport.
After that, we had to wait for our turn again for payment in Counter 3. That I waited another half an hour. By 11am we were told we can come back after 1 hour to collect our passport and that would be almost 12pm.

Payment is by credit card, debit card or touch & go only. No cash transaction. 

So overall it wasn't that bad. Good luck for those doing your passport renewal.



For more info, log on to https://www.imi.gov.my/




Comments

Popular Posts